DDOT issued a notice of intent (NOI) for this project on April 23, 2020 and accepted comments until July 10, 2020.
The project team will continue to receive comments throughout the duration of the project. Please leave your contact information in the survey below for updates on the project.
K Street between 6th Street NW and 1st Street NE was identified as one of two priority corridors in the 2018 NoMa/Mount Vernon Triangle Bicycle Network Study. This study analyzed four streets - K, L, M, and N - between 6th Street NW and 6th Street NE with the goal of identifying one or more corridors for continuous and consistent bicycle accommodations. This study arose out of the lack of intuitive and low-stress bicycling routes between NoMa and the eastern part of Downtown. This project will close the .86 mile gap by connecting an existing cycle track on 1st Street NE to Mount Vernon Square/7th Street NW. A gap in the bike network will remain on K Street NE between 1st and 2nd Streets (bike lanes were installed in 2019 between 2nd and 6th Streets). This section will be studied in the near future. At 7th Street NW, the bike lanes could be extended south to connect to Mount Vernon Square and the K Street lanes.
Project Area Map
Summer 2019 to
Planning and Design
- ANC 6E Meeting - May 7, 2019
- ANC 6E Transportation Advisory Committee Meeting - November 26, 2019
- ANC 6E Transportation Advisory Committee Meeting - April 28, 2020
- ANC 6C Transportation and Public Space Committee Meeting - May 7, 2020
- Notice of Intent and Comment Period April 23 - June 5, 2020
Preliminary and Final Engineering
|Fall 2020/Spring 2021||Project Evaluation|
DDOT Project Manager:
Mike Goodno, Bicycle Program Specialist
Planning and Sustainability Division
Community Engagement Specialist (Ward 6)
Andrew DeFrank, Program Analyst
Office of the Director
K Street between 1st St NE and 7th St NW is 50' wide curb-to-curb. The current roadway configuration has three distinct sections.
- 1st St NE to 3rd St NW
- 3rd St NW to 6th St NW
- 6th St NW to 7th St NW
Existing Conditions - 1st Street NE to 3rd Street NW
Between 1st NE and 3rd St NW there are 2 off-peak travel lanes, and 3 peak lanes. Parking is restricted westbound during the AM peak, and eastbound during the PM peak.
Existing Conditions - 3rd Street NW to 6th Street NW
Between 3rd and 6th Streets, there are 2 travel lanes, full-time parking, and a combination of bike lanes, with sharrows and turn lanes at intersections.
Existing Conditions - 6th Street NW to 7th Street NW
Between 6th and 7th Streets, NW there are two travel lanes and full-time parking on both sides of the street. This section lacks a bicycle facility.
Proposed Configuration (Mid-block) 1st Street NE to 7th Street NW
The proposed condition seeks to remove parking on the north side and make it permanent (i.e. non-restricted) parking on the south side. To increase visibility at alley, driveways, and other curb cuts, additional parking must be removed. The proposed condition includes two curbside protected bike lanes, full-time parking on the south side and a travel lane in each direction. Buses will be accommodated through a combination of curbside stops, where bikes will wait or go around stopped buses at lower volume stops. Floating bus islands are proposed at higher volume stops.
Proposed Configuration at Intersections- 1st Street NE to 7th Street NW
Near intersections the south side parking lane will be removed to allow for the inclusion of left turn lanes to facilitate traffic flow.
Design Phase Plans
Preliminary - 30% - design plans are available for viewing below.
- June 27, 2018 ANC 6C resolution in support of the K Street alignment as recommended in the NoMa/Mount Vernon Triangle Bicycle Network Study
- September 1, 2019 ANC 6E resolution in support of the concept of a K St NW Complete Street project
- May 15, 2020 ANC 6C resolution in support and design comments
- July 12, 2020 ANC 6E resolution containing four principles for the project:
- Complete the project in 2020
- Include as much protected bike lane as possible, while accommodating transit and parking needs for businesses and needs of individuals with mobility impairments
- Incorporate pick-up/drop-off (PUDO) zones
- DDOT actively and affirmative seek input from businesses and community members along the project corridor – particularly residents east of 4th Street NW – prior to publication of the next version of project plans
- June 7, 2018 presentation on NoMa Study to ANC 6C Transportation and Public Space Committee
- May 7, 2019 presentation to ANC 6E
- November 26, 2019 presentation to ANC 6E Transportation Advisory Committee
- April 28, 2020 presentation to ANC 6E Transportation Advisory Committee
- May 7, 2020 presentation to ANC 6C Transportation and Public Space Committee
- July 7, 2020 presentation to ANC 6E
Please leave any comments regarding a Protected Bicycle Lane Project in the survey below. For more information please leave your email address and contact information.