DDOT has the authority to place signs prohibiting parking:
- in front of the principal entrance of the embassy or legation of any foreign country;
- in front of the entrance of …. the chancery of the embassy or legation of any foreign country between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.; and
- for a distance not to exceed sixty feet (60 ft.) along the curb in front of or alongside any building occupied by an embassy or legation of any foreign country, except for those vehicles bearing diplomatic motor vehicle identification tags (reserved parking).
DDOT shall allocate and regulate on-street parking, and establish parking and curb regulations. (DDOT Establishment Act, § 50-921.04).
Procedures & Services
DDOT shall review and approve requests for reserved curbside parking for embassies according to the following process:
- The requesting embassy must file a request with the U.S. State Department's Office of Foreign Missions (OFM);
- OFM will then transmit the request to DDOT;
- According the State Department's website: "The review process length is about 180 days, which includes public notice and a period for public comment";
- DDOT will either approve or deny the request;
- If approved, DDOT wil install the necessary signs for the requesting embassy.
Diplomat Parking Reciprocity Permits
Diplomat parking reciprocity parking permits are issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Page:Diplomat and Embassy Parking (Compendium)
Page:Curbside Management Study (Compendium)
Page:Electric Vehicles (Compendium)
Page:Public Parking (Compendium)
Page:Performance Parking (Compendium)
Page:Valet Parking (Compendium)
Page:Visitor Parking (Compendium)
Page:Temporary Parking Restrictions (Compendium)
Page:Temporary Parking Permits (Compendium)
Page:Parking Prohibitions and Restrictions (Compendium)
Page:Residential Parking Permits (RPP) (Compendium)
Page:Parking Meters (Compendium)
Page:Parking for Persons With Disabilities (Compendium)
- D.C. Code § 6-1306/Foreign Missions Act (22 U.S.C § 4301 – 4316)
- DCMR 18-2406.3, -.4, -.5
- Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations
Design Standards & Specifications
Transportation Plans & Studies