DDOT's shall operate the District of Columbia School Transit Subsidy Program, which provides reduced fares for District students who use Metrobus, Metrorail, or the Circulator to travel to and from school. (DDOT Establishment Act, D.C. Code § 50-921.04).
Procedures & Services
The School Transit Subsidy Program provides all District students with access to the Circulator and discounted transit passes to use Metrobus and Metrorail to get to and from school and associated educational activities.
In order for any District student to qualify for the School Transit Subsidy Program they must meet all four qualifications:
- Be a resident of the District of Columbia;
- Be less than 22 years of age (Note: Age requirement expanded for all students, except for eligible youth in the District’s Foster Care system.);
- Be enrolled in an elementary or secondary public, private, charter or parochial school located within the District; or a “ward of DC” through the Foster Care System; and
- Need to use Metrobus and/or Metrorail for travel to and from school and to and from related educational activities in the District.
As of January 2014, students must obtain and activate a DC One Card, which is available through:
- most District of Columbia Public Schools,
- participating Charter and Private Schools, and
- a DC One Card Customer Service Center
The DC One Card, which contains a SmarTrip chip, can be used to purchase store discounted WMATA student pass products, such as a monthly rail/bus pass.
DC Student Guide to the School Transit Subsidy Program
Kids Ride Free on Bus Program Flyer and FAQ
How To Use a Student DC One Card for the School Transit Subsidy Program (DCPS, Charter, and Private Schools)
Page:School Transit Subsidy Program (Compendium)
- D.C. Code § 35-231 - § 35-237: Student Fares
- DCMR 18-17: Student Travel Priviledges
- School Transit Subsidy Act of 1978
- School Transit Fare Act of 1981
- Omnibus Budget Support Act of 1995
- School Transit Subsidy Act of 1978 Amendment Act of 1998
- Transit Subsidy for Foster Youth Amendment Act of 2012
- School Transit Subsidy Emergency Amendment Act of 2013
Design Standards & Specifications
Transportation Plans & Studies
|PDF File Student Guide to the School Transit Subsidy Program.pdf||Jul 20, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Kids Ride Free on Bus Program Flyer.pdf||Jul 20, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Kids Ride Free on Bus Program FAQ.pdf||Jul 20, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File School Transit Subsidy Program DCPS.pdf||Jul 20, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File School Transit Subsidy Program Charter Schools.pdf||Jul 20, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File School Transit Subsidy Program Private Schools.pdf||Jul 20, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|