DDOT shall manage sidewalk space in a way that promotes pedestrian safety, efficiency, comfort, and provides adequate space for tree boxes. (DCMR 10-A913.9)
DDOT shall install sidewalks on streets throughout the District to improve pedestrian safety, access, and connectivity. In furtherance of this goal, DDOT shall:
- Analyze all streets in the District to establish a priority list of streets to receive sidewalk installation;
- Construct sidewalks in these priority areas:
- school areas missing sidewalks;
- routes that provide access to parks and recreational facilities;
- transit stops; and
- locations where substantial safety risks exist;
- Construct sidewalks on all streets and roadways as part of roadway reconstruction projects; and
- Make every effort to minimize the negative impacts of sidewalk construction on adjacent property owners.
In addition, DDOT shall continue to monitor the sidewalk network for needed improvements, and consult with ANCs and community organizations as plans for sidewalk construction are developed.
Sidewalk Installation Policy
Procedures & Services
Requests for 'new' sidewalks shall be made through the existing petition process, and will be evaluated for compliance with DDOT's Sidewalk policy. A new sidewalk request requires a petition from a majority of the residents on the block.
Anyone who wishes to repair or replace an existing sidewalk, curb, and gutter or construct a new sidewalk, curb, and gutter must obtain a public space permit from DDOT.
Sidewalk, Curb, and Gutters FAQs
All public space permits are processed through DDOT's Transportation Online Permitting System (TOPS).
- Priority Sidewalk Assurance Act of 2010
- DCMR 10-A410.10: Action T-2.4.B: Sidewalks
- DCMR 10-A913.9: Policy UD-3.1.2: Management of Sidewalk Space
- DCMR 24-1200: Sidewalk Treatment in Historic Districts
Design Standards & Specifications
- DDOT Design and Engineering Manual, Chapter 29.4: Sidewalks
- DDOT Design and Engineering Manual, Chapter 31.2.1: Sidewalks
- DDOT Sidewalk Standards
Transportation Plans & Studies