DDOT preserves and maintains the District's street tree population, as it is a natural resource that performs numerous environmental benefits while enhancing both the quality of life and aesthetic value of the city. DDOT's fulfills this mission by:
- Maintaining a tree inventory system;
- Performing routine tree maintenance;
- Reviewing transportation related construction plans to ensure the provision of adequate rights-of-way for tree planting; and
- Planting, removing, and trimming trees citywide.
Procedures & Services
Removal of Live Public Space Trees
Removal Policy of Live Public Space Trees for Development
Residents may request tree inspections, tree planting, tree pruning, and investigation into tree removal by calling 311, or visiting 311 Online.
Anyone who wishes to plant, prune, or remove a public street tree within public space must first obtain a public space permit from DDOT. All public space permits may be obtained through DDOT's Transportation Online Permitting System (TOPS), or by submitting an application in-person at DDOT's Permitting Center.
Note: Neither DDOT, nor the District government, is responsible for the maintenance, removal, or upkeep of trees on private property.
Energy Savings Initiative - Increasing Urban Tree Canopy
Tree Fence Specifications
Tree Pit Guard–1st Street Typical
- Urban Forest Preservation Act of 2002
- Tree Space Beautification Regulation Act of 1989
- DCMR 10-A603: E-1.1 Conserving and Expanding Our Urban Forest
- DCMR 24-107: Streetlights, Street Signs, Trees, and Fixtures
- DCMR 24-109: Beautification of Tree Spaces
- DCMR 24-1107: Tree Maintenance Requirements
Design Standards & Specifications
- DDOT Design and Engineering Manual, Chapter 8 – Trees, Plants, & Landscaping
- DDOT Design and Engineering Manual, Chapter 47 – Landscape Design Criteria
Transportation Plans & Studies
|PDF File Edge Restraint.pdf||Jul 23, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Energy Savings Initiatives.pdf||Jul 24, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Public Space Live Tree removal policy.pdf||Jul 24, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Structural Soil.pdf||Jul 23, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Tree Fence Specifications.pdf||Jul 23, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|
|PDF File Tree Pit Guard 1st St Typical.pdf||Jul 23, 2020 by Kathleen Crabb|